Instagram Reels is a brand-new Instagram feature for users to create 15-second video clips set to music and share to their Stories, Explore Feed, and the new Reels tab on a user’s profile.
Similar to TikTok, Reels is the latest video feature on Instagram and is now available in the United States and 50 other countries.
Instagram Reels has its own version of the For You page: the new Reels Explore Feed. You can find the Reels feed on the Instagram Explore Page. Instead of only seeing Reels from accounts you follow as you scroll, you will see Reels from popular and trending accounts on Instagram.
While the Reels algorithm hasn’t been locked down yet, it feels similar to the TikTok For You page. It’s likely influenced by whom you already follow, what content you interact with, and where you’re located.
As you’re scrolling, you may notice some Reels have a “Featured” label above the caption.
According to Instagram, “If your reel is featured in Explore, you’ll receive a notification. Featured reels are a selection of public reels chosen by Instagram to help you discover original content we hope will entertain and inspire you.”
How to Create Reels
Select Reels at the bottom of the Instagram camera. You’ll see a variety of creative editing tools on the left side of your screen to help create your reel, including:
- Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library. You can also use your own original audio by simply recording a reel with it. When you share a reel with original audio, your audio will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account, people can create reels with your audio by selecting “Use Audio” from your reel.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in our effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects.
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown, before recording begins for the amount of time you selected.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next to help create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes or adding new friends into your reel.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected. This can help you stay on a beat or make slow motion videos.
How to Use Instagram Reels For Business
Instagram Reels are a new way to build your community and grow your reach on Instagram. Reels make it easy to build genuine relationships with your customer base and strengthen the community you’re trying to build. They are also a fun and engaging way to share viral (and creative!) snippets with your audience.
Even though Reels haven’t been around for very long, they are showing to be a space for brands and creators to go above and beyond.
Here are three ways you can use Instagram Reels in your marketing strategy:
- Create content that’s authentic and resonating to your audience. Instagram Reels are a fast, fun way to create captivating, unique content packed with special effects. This is a fantastic opportunity for businesses to show a more human aspect of their brand.
- Share educational content. Use Reels to teach your followers something new. Show them how to save money more easily, wear their skirt five different ways, or how to take the perfect photo.
- Show off your products and services. Increase your brand awareness and build your sales by using Reels to demonstrate what you have to offer.